Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen Ephesians 3:20-21
Saturday, June 12, 2010
what the world is watching
It's late, relatively speaking, I'm in Dallas. A group just arrived, I should probably get to bed, or be working on a newsletter, but instead I decided to make a quick post. So, yesterday the FIFA World Cup Soccer event started. I have a vague memories hearing about the existence of this event growing up but coming from a football (American football) family, we always waited on the Superbowl as the huge event to gather together with friends and watch. However, even if I still wait for and "celebrate" the Superbowl, it would seem everyone around me, and it seems in most of the rest of the world, waits in anticipation for futbol/football (soccer's) every four year event. Yesterday morning was the opener. At first I thought my neighbor's dog was acting up, then that they were being attacked or fighting, only to find out that Mexico was playing South Africa in South Africa for the opening came of the World Cup. (The game ended in a tie). Later that afternoon I purchased a little Mexican national soccer outfit to send to my nephew for his birthday (I figured I'll clue him in a little earlier in life than I was). And even though I still don't live and breath soccer, I do find it fun to watch these games, or perhaps I find it fun to watch other people watch these games with such excitement and passion. Friends join together and all else is put aside for that hour and a half. It's kinda special to watch. So if you're like I was and didn't really have a clue, check it out. And if you can find some friends and watch a game or two with them all the better. I don't know when Mexico or the USA plays next, but I'm pretty sure if nothing else I'll hear the screams and be clued in to check out the game. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment