It's strange as you get older and holiday traditions change and everyone must find their own. This is the third Christmas that I have spent in Monterrey. I have so much enjoyed putting up a Christmas tree in my apartment the last two years. This year it went up right after Thanksgiving. Without the normal Pennsylvania cold Christmas seems to arrive before I even realize it's December. The decorations help me remember and add a soft homey touch to my apartment. I hope to each year little by little add to my Christmas decorations, this year I added just enough to make my tree look a little less charlie brownish. ;) Being away from home at the holidays is always difficult but I have seen God's faithfulness in providing friends and family for me even when many of my loved ones are miles away.
It seems to be the tradition here that people have the big family gathering on Christmas Eve evening complete with gifts, tamales, and a host of other delicious foods. Christmas day is more relaxed with perhaps family returning for leftovers. I was blessed to joined in the Christmas dinners with friends of mine here both on Christmas Eve and Christmas day night.
Christmas Day we had a special Christmas service at the church. It was a very special time. For some from the church it was the first time they have celebrated Christmas as part of their church. Eighty-four people attended, some from other churches, some family members of the congregation who aren't believers, a few people from the neighborhood behind the church, and two girls from my apartment building. Praise God for the opportunities we had to remember and celebrate together that not only did God send His Son to be born as a baby but to be the Savior of the mankind! Please pray that I would continue to be able to have opportunities to talk with the girls from my apartment.
Sunday we had a great service and spent the rest of the day and night at the church with the youth and some of the young adults and adults. It was a great time just to spend with the youth. I'm also learning a lot as its a completely new generation and instead of hours of conversation and card games; Xbox, Wii, and Rock Band are the hits of the night. But I'm learning. :)
I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas and have a Happy New Year! (We are planning round two all-nighter with the youth) ;)
Thank you for all of your support and prayers!

No comments:
Post a Comment