There are also moments that create quite an amusing story to tell, even though at the time I didn't feel quite so amused. December 12 is the day of celebration to the Virgen of Guadelupe throughout Mexico. As a part of this tradition groups called Matachines dress in traditional ethnic dress and dance as they march through the streets to the Church of the Virgen of Guadelupe. Music, dance, prayers as well as groups of people are all a part of this custom, as well as a someone who walks alongside the dancers. The tradition that has developed is that he will run up and scare people, especially teens and children who might be standing on the street watching them pass. Well, last week this man, he's called "el viejo de la danza" got me. I had just pulled into my garage and was walking to unload things from the back of my car when "el viejo de la danza" came running up to the other side of the garage door (its not a solid door, more like a gate). I screamed so loud and without remembering how I got there found myself on the other side of the garage behind my car. I think I trembled for 15 minutes but thinking back on it now just makes me chuckle. I'm hoping I screamed loud enough that I scared the guy intending to scare me. Life is never dull.
Currently we're planning events for a Christmas day service at the church. The custom seems to be that families gather on Christmas Eve, so we are planning to come together as a church family on Christmas day. Please pray for the opportunities to reach out to the community using this event!
Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment